Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Last but not least, some knitting content!

I neglected to take a photo of the felted purse I made for my Secret Pal for the Secret Pal 9 exchange. She was kind enough to email me one after she'd received it.
I have also been working on a red sweater. It's Glee from Zephyrstyle.com. I'm using a baby Alpaca yarn from Knitpicks in the shade listed as "Embers". It's a dark red tone that is heathered with a charcoal/black fiber.(row 40ish shown here)
I can't begin to express just how yummy and soft this yarn is. I want to rub it all over! I've even promised to make Lyle a pair of boxers out of the same yarn, it's that good!

I finally counted the rows, and I'm only on 72. Once I reach 106 I can do something different. Right now I'm in stocking knit hell! Other than a KFB before and after each of the 4 stitch markers on each knit row, it's sooooo boring! Keeping that in mind, I plan on making another one with a few modification. I plan on using the same yarn, color either "Woods" or "Granite". They're both a lovely shade of brown. I also plan on making it a long sleeved cardigan and add edgings from one of Nicky Epsteins books. She has a terrific collection of edgings. I'm leaning toward a picot or lacy finish. Now keeping those things in mind, I can't do a plain knit. I think I'll knit in stripes of moss or ribs, just to make it textural.

I have to admit, I have atleast two other sweaters I want to make. They're both from Knitting Nature by Nora Gaughan. I've recently found out that there are also several errors in the patterns and errata information is on the web for many of the patterns.

The first one is the Asymmetrical Cardigan using a yarn that is just so far out of any persons budget, I can't believe they used it. It's like $28-30 per ball and I'd need like 29 of those suckers! Yeah, like I'd ever use that! None that I've seen online have been made using that yarn either.
I think I might use Debbie Bliss merino chunky if I can find it in the color and quantity I'd need it in. It's been discontinued, so I don't know if that will be an option for me. I wouldn't have as may problems locating a substitution if I was open to a different color. Right now, I want to stick with a light blue or a dove/pearly gray.



The second sweater is from the same book. It's called the Turbulence U-Neck Pullover. I found a great picture of it made out of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Dk on thedailypurl.com
I've found the merino on Knitpicks to be a nice option too. I haven't decided on a yarn for this one yet though. It might end up as a gift for a friend though, I haven't really decided yet.

v


No comments: